3.26.2014

Life lately...

In case you missed it, we're welcoming another little camper to our family in October and things have been pretty crazy around here the past few weeks!

I've been super sick since around 6 weeks with this little one and it seems to be getting worse instead of better lately. I landed myself in the hospital on Monday after throwing up 8 times before 9:00 AM and had a nice little case of dehydration. They diagnosed me with hyperemesis gravidarum, which is fancy for throwing up a lot while you're pregnant. Fun huh?

I was sent home from the hospital after a few hours and a bag of IV fluids/anti nausea medication and was so glad to get out of the emergency room surrounded by about a million people with the flu puking their guts out. It sounded like a scene from Jurassic Park in there. Disgusting.

I wish it was all over there, but unfortunately my doctor wanted me to get some more fluids and medicine in me so he prescribed me an at-home IV service to start Monday night. I was expecting someone to come into the house, hook me up to an IV for an hour or so, and leave every night. Nope! It gets better. I have been hooked up to IV bags for 2 days now and have to carry a nice giant bag and pump around with me 24 hours a day. I had a major emotional meltdown about it Monday night, came to terms with it a bit by Tuesday, and have been in a funk ever since it all started on Monday morning. I'm currently typing this with my left hand because my IV line is in my right, and it basically hurts to do anything.

Luke has been amazing through this all  -- doing everything around the house and basically being an only parent when it comes to changing Marleigh's diapers, feeding her, tucking her into bed, you name it. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband who is an even better daddy!

My mom has also helped me so much this week, including helping me take a bath today which was definitely a humbling and awkward situation. haha. I wouldn't have made it through without a major meltdown without her help. Thanks, Mimi!

At times like this, it can be hard to focus on the positives. I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't been feeling sorry for myself all week, because I have been. This sucks and I'm allowed to say so. But I've also been trying to remind myself that it's not all bad. I have a growing baby inside me who, although he/she is trying to kill me, is healthy with a strong heartbeat. I have an amazing family who helps me when I need them. I have a phenomenal husband who knows when I need some comic relief ("Why are you bringing your laptop to bed babe?") and also when I need a hug and a kiss to make me feel better. I have a sweet, caring little girl who is so concerned with "Mommy's boo boo" and has been spoiling me with lots of snuggles and kisses the past few days. I am grateful that I'm not using this IV for bad reasons, but for good. To keep my body healthy so I can keep my baby healthy. And I'll be more grateful when I can get the OK to take it out and return to normal life -- hopefully tomorrow.

Until the next time I blog (which will likely be a month from now. Just being honest...), goodnight!

1 comment: