12.17.2012

"This World Needs Jesus"

{via}
Over the weekend, I couldn't pry my eyes away from the coverage of the horrible event that took place in Newtown, CT. I watched it all day on Friday as the news unfolded, and almost all weekend long, and as many times as I wanted to turn it off and refocus my attention, I couldn't.

My heart is broken for the families in that small sleepy town who are currently living my worst nightmare as a parent. I cannot begin to imagine what they are going through, and I hope and pray that I never have to. Those families lost their babies. The little loves of their lives. Their sons and daughters who went to school that day and will never come home again. My spirit is crushed, and I am appalled at the state of our society that things like this happen.

Friday night, when Marleigh woke up at 3:30 for her bottle, I held her extra tight and snuggled her a little longer than I usually would, like I'm sure so many parents did. I thought about her and how she is going to grow up in a world where acts of kindness are overlooked and evil is at large. And I cried, hard, for the third time that day.

When I started thinking about those poor children, some only 6 years old, and imagining the fear they went through, the pain they felt, and the tears they cried, I can't even stomach it. It breaks me. The fact that there are people in this world who would even think of doing something this unspeakable absolutely disgusts me, to say the least.

When I tucked Marleigh back into bed that night and kissed her forehead and told her to "Sleep well" like I do every night, I thanked God for keeping her safe. And then I crawled into bed and snuggled tight to my husband, a teacher, and my stomach sank again, thinking of the families of the faculty of that school who were killed.

Our church said it best on their Facebook page: "This world needs Jesus."

To the families of Newtown, may you somehow find peace in knowing your little angels are now dancing with Jesus in Heaven. We cannot bring them back, or make your pain any less severe. All we can do is pray with you, and for you, and rest in the hope that someday we will live in a world where peace and love prevail.


"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." -Matthew 5:4

No comments:

Post a Comment