11.30.2012

My favorite sounds of the season

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Christmas music, or the fact that the local radio stations seem to think it's acceptable to start playing "all Christmas all the time" as soon as Halloween is over. Here's a hint, Star 102.5 – it's not. If I have to listen to another version of "The Little Drummer Boy," "Do You Hear What I Hear," "All I Want for Christmas Is You," or "Last Christmas," I just might rip the stereo out of my car.

Call me a Grinch, but I tend to think Christmas music should be limited to the month of December, or at least after Thanksgiving. However, my husband likes to think otherwise – and would listen to Christmas music year-round if I would let him. (He also calls himself "Father Christmas" and has asked me to do the same. Sure, babe. You got it!)

Anyhooser. To keep myself from going clinically insane with Christmas tunes for 2+ months, I have found a few select songs and artists that have been slowly but surely getting me in the holiday spirit.  No obnoxious "Dominic the Donkey," "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," or Spike Jones over here!



1. James Taylor
Something about his voice just makes me feel happy and relaxed. My favorite Christmas tune of his is "Go Tell It On the Mountain" - with "River" coming in at a close second.



2. The Carpenters
The Carpenters and Christmas kinda go hand in hand, no? It just wouldn't be Christmas without Karen Carpenter's voice singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".



3. Vince Guiraldi Trio
This one doesn't need an explanation. Charlie Brown Christmas anyone?



4. Elton John
... Because I can't help but dance and crank up the volume when "Step Into Christmas" comes on the radio!



5. Any version of "O Holy Night"
This is by far my favorite Christmas song. I have yet to hear a bad version of it, and every time I sing it, I get a little choked up. It really makes me remember the true meaning of Christmas, and how grateful I am for the gift of eternal life through Jesus' birth!


To listen to these tunes and some more of my Christmas faves on Spotify, click here!


What are your favorite Christmas songs? Leave your comments below, and they might make it to my playlist!

Please note: If you say anything by Mariah Carey, we can no longer be friends.
(Even though I seriously love this video)

No comments:

Post a Comment