10.04.2012

One month.


As I type this, I am laying in bed with a sleeping Marleigh napping peacefully on my chest. I am listening to her breaths, her little sighs, listening to her quietly moving her mouth as she rests. I am in awe of her every movement.

It seems surreal that one month ago, I was bringing this tiny little peanut into the world. I was suffering through contractions, focusing on MY breathing, watching my husband in the last few moments before he became a daddy, and surrounded by a room full of medical professionals ready to take care of us when Marleigh finally came. And then it was my turn to take care of her.

Now, four weeks later, I feel like I can't remember my life before her. She has fit into our lives so perfectly that it seems like she's been here forever.

At one month, Marleigh has already gone through so many changes. For starters, she eats A LOT. 3-4 oz every 2-3 hours, on average, with longer time between feedings at night. She now has 2 chins because of this, where the formula likes to dribble - giving her more of a stinky cheese smell than new baby smell after a day without a bath. Bath time, by the way, is her biggest frenemy. Sometimes she loves it, and sometimes she flips out. It's slowly getting better and I think she'll eventually be a good little water baby! She still has a ton of hair that I don't even try to tame, and thankfully not much seems to have fallen out yet! It's dark like her daddy's, but showing signs of getting lighter with some auburn coloring. She has beautiful big blue eyes which are staying open longer during the days, and getting good at focusing. She is very alert and strong - moving her head around like crazy and even propping herself up with her tiny little chicken legs from time to time! Despite a couple crazy growth spurts (she gained over 1 lb. in 11 days between her first and second checkups), she is still wearing newborn clothes, some of which are still too big for her little self! I'm hoping this means that she'll grow up to be tall and skinny like her daddy! She has the most precious little face I've ever seen, and despite a little bit of fussiness from time to time and a really bad temper (I wonder where she gets that from...!), she's  a very good baby!

Fun Facts:
• Baby hiccups are a normal occurrence around here. Sometimes they can be really annoying (when they keep her from falling asleep at night). Other times (most times), they're adorable.
• No sneeze ever stands alone. Always 2-3 at a time, sometimes even more than that! It doesn't seem to bother her at all, and I love the sound of them. So little!
• Smiles are in our near future, and she gave daddy a little preview the other night (which I missed because I was out shopping for newborn clothes). We can't wait until they start happening more often!
• Taking the bottle away for a burp break before she's ready may result in serious meltdowns. Avoid when possible.
• When in doubt, check the diaper. Baby girl seriously hates any amount of potty in there. We might as well take stock in Pampers now! I'm pretty sure we could singlehandedly keep them in business.
• Every morning begins with a visit with her "friends," the gear wall hangings in mommy and daddy's bedroom. She sits and stares at them for 10-15 minutes at the start of each day, always accompanied by flailing arms and baby talk (aka dinosaur noises), and followed by a nice snuggle session with mommy.

I know I sound like a broken record, but time honestly seems to be going faster than ever before. One month down, and a lifetime to go! I am truly in my element as a mommy, and I feel like I have the best new job in the world. God has truly blessed our little family of 3, and I have never been happier or more content with my life.

Happy 1 month birthday, little girl! You've had us wrapped around your little finger from the start, and we find something new to love about you every day. We are so proud to be your parents!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! It is so similar to what I am going through with my little Noah! He always gets the hiccups and I feel bad when they keep him awake when its nap time! Oh and he always sneezes too … usually when he's on the changing table in his room because its right at the window and I read they sneeze when they see sunlight. Its kind cute though. :) Oh and our smiles have been a little more now too, usually they were the cute toothless smiles when he was sleeping and dreaming … but now he's starting to mimic out faces when we talk and smile at him and I know that the real smiles are coming soon. I am so excited to read and see more pics of your precious little princess. :)

    ReplyDelete